RL24, RL28, and RL34 Trailable Yachts
from Rob Legg Yachts
  • RL28 Features
  • RL28 Specifications
  • RL28 Drawings
  • The RL28 Story
  • The RL28 Story

    by Rob Legg

    Episode 7: Designing the RL28

    While work was progressing on preparing the deck and interior moulds, I made up what seemed to be an endless list of sundry items that would have to be organised before we could complete the first boat.

    Here are but a few of them.
    • Keel casting pattern for the iron foundry.
    • Rudder pattern and mould.
    • Sample rudder head and patterns for pintle castings.
    • Staff member Ray Hooker to design and organise electrical circuits.
    • Foreman Graham Wright to plan interior cabinet and plumbing details.
    • Mast and boom and rig details for sail maker.
    • Detailed rigging plan and fittings list.
    • Plywood patterns of squabs for upholsterer.
    • Detailed deck fittings and fastenings list.
    • Investigate suitable trailers.
    • And so the list went on and on.
    Word was out that we were building a 28 ft boat and requests were coming from the boating magazines for tests. Also there were enquiries from two charter boat companies, so it was important to make early application to Harbours and Marine regarding building the new boats under survey. This was always a worry as H&M at that time were taking up to three months just to read plans, and this was always followed by the inevitable arguments regarding small items. They were, at that time, not happy with GRP boats, and although they had adopted Lloyds of London rules, they were always throwing in a few of their own.

    We had decided to follow Lloyds laminating requirements from the start, but only follow their and H&M requirements on survey boats as some of their rules were rather out of place on a 28 ft trailerable boat.

    Note. If by chance you happen to own an ex charter boat you will find that your boat will be about 150 Kg heavier than normal because we added extra ballast to these boats to meet survey requirements, even though self righting ability was well in excess of AYF standards.

    The first boat was going to be our demo boat and as we already had two hulls moulded, a set of interiors and a deck were top priority.

    Everything went smoothly, and the interior mouldings fitted perfectly in the hull. The deck was a little troublesome to remove from the mould, but this was to be expected with a new complex shape. It would soon be broken in.

    All went well with fitting the deck to the hull, and the interior timber work commenced. This was slow at first as patterns had to be made of everything as it was fitted. Also the electrical wiring was to be run inside conduit and glassed in, and every wire was to be measured so that looms could be made up in advance.

    The one thing that I couldn't make my mind up on was about the lining for the deck head. Originally the intention was to make a complete fibre glass liner, but when we looked at all the fastenings from fittings on the cabin top, it just didn't seem practical.

    I have often wondered since just how that carpet stood up over time.

    Go back to Previous Episode | Go back to Index | Go on to Next Episode